Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Reboot Program - Part 1

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead?  Not quite in our cases, but we are looking for a 'reboot' for our bodies.  The holidays are always tough on a diet, and we are venturing into race season.  So six of us (including myself, my hubby, "A", "M", "Al", "Mi") decided to attempt the 15 day Reboot Entry Program designed by Joe of "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" (if you haven't seen this documentary, you may want to give it a try).

The Reboot Entry Program (http://jointhereboot.com/reboot-program/the-reboot-entry-plan/) that we chose includes eating fruits and vegetables and drinking them (juicing).  I don't think I could ever do a pure juicing program.  Although, if my life depended on it, I know I could do anything.  I was juicing (always green juice) on a regular basis last year, and I felt great.  I'd have a green juice about 5 times per week as my breakfast.  I felt full of energy, and starting the day making a healthy decision seemed to help me make better choices throughout the day.  In the last 3 or 4 months, I've fallen off the juice wagon; I've only been juicing once a week on a good week.  I, personally, am hoping that the Reboot gets me back into juice leading to better food choices.  I also hope to learn some new juice and vegan recipes from the Program.

Now this program is not for the weak of heart.  Or maybe it is, as it is a life style change for the better.  I go into this program as "Veganish".  I'm not into giving titles to my diet.  For the most part I eat what makes me feel good and what is going to work in my body to fight those ugly 'C' cells.  That is, I eat a diet heavy on vegetables.  I don't eat meat or dairy; I do have fish on occasion and I do request cream in my decaf coffee at Dunkin Donuts.  The program requires you to eat and drink only fruits and vegetables.  No meat, dairy, grains, breads, beans, caffeine, alcohol.  For those on the 'American Diet', I think this program would be a lot tougher to withstand.  For me, I just have to remove the almost-empty and empty carbs... for 15 days... shouldn't be very difficult.  Right?  I'm not so sure...

My trunk is overflowing with vegetables
Today is day 5 of the Program.  I feel like I have enough energy today to actually post something.  I kid.  I've been able to keep to my run schedule (even the long run), and I must say that I'm truly enjoying the coconut water that is allowed by the Program after a workout - instant recovery!  The Program does require A LOT of food preparation time.  It's difficult to keep up with.  Most, if not all, of the food recipes have been delicious and very flavorful.  The juice recipes have been fun and interesting except for the V28 juice which was difficult to stomach.  The Program serving sizes are absolutely huge.  We've learned to cut the ingredients by half or make one recipe to serve the both of us.  We've also skipped some of the snacks because we just can't find the time in the day to prepare and eat all that is listed.  I can't say that I've been hungry; it's more that I wasn't feeling satisfied.  I keep reminding myself that this is my body detoxing from the empty carbs that I've always gotten such comfort from.  Day 3 of the Program was the hardest so far.  I felt very grumpy and very empty even though I was eating.  Yesterday (Day 4) was definitely better though I found myself craving chicken.  I've been vegetarian for almost 4 years now and don't miss meat much at all yet yesterday I wanted poultry.  For those that have bought into what the Meat farmers have told you, you do not need meat to have enough protein in your diet.  We are getting plenty of protein from the vegetables that we're taking in all day long.  Reboot has even noted the recipe stats for each recipe so that you're aware of your protein intake.  I've never had a problem with having enough protein in my diet since removing animal products from my diet.

Group status as of today (Day 5):  I'm sticking to the Program to the letter.  I'm hoping today is a great day!  Hubby wasn't able to let go of the caffeine.  He's had his coffee each morning since Day 3 which includes some soy milk.  "Al" and "Mi" are sticking to the Program.  "A" dropped the Program on Day 2 but is being more careful and conscious of her food choices including eating more vegetables than she typically does.  "M"ventured to Jersey Mike's for a sub on Day 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment