Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Where to start?

I've decided that a blog might be a good place for me to record my personal feelings and views regarding the steps that I take throughout this year to keep myself healthy.  Regular exercise, vitamin supplements, and healthy eating are my current weapons in my battle against the big C.

Since the end of treatment I have completed numerous 5Ks, ran a handful of 10Ks, ran a half marathon, been part of a crazy relay team, race through the mud, and completed 2 sprint Triathlons.  I'm very proud of myself for these accomplishments and hope to continue to run races and try new athletic challenges.  We've found some great friends with similar mindsets along the way which is a big factor in keeping my interest at a high level.

Since end of treatment, hubby and I also became pescatarians.  About a year ago, I removed eggs and dairy from my life also mainly because it made me feel better not to eat that stuff.  I refer to myself as 'veganish'.  I also began juicing about a year ago as a supplement to my healthy eating plan.  I was very good about drinking my green juice every day for quite a while but have slowly fallen off the wagon.  I'm currently juicing about once per week now.  Hubs and I are planning to be part of a juice fast in the next couple of weeks.  He's going for a 10 day fast; I'm aiming for a 3 day fast and then having a morning juice for each of the next 7 days.  I'm hoping this will get me back into juicing so that I'm enjoying my green drink at least 5 out of 7 days of the week.

I'm currently running for exercise as well as doing some stretching exercises.  I'm looking forward to some warmer weather so I can get back on my bike.  Hub and I just took part in our first Ragnar Relay: 200 miles, 12 friends, 2 vans.  It was an incredible experience!  Something I have to thank the big C for.  I know I never would have been brave enough to accept this type of challenge before my battle with C.  Next race that I'm signed up for is a Duathlon in April: Run, bike, run.  Sounds more my speed than a tri since I so hate the swim part of the tri.  But I will swim again! I'm also signed up for a sprint tri in June.  I'll need to get into the pool soon to start training.  That's going to entail a gym membership. Ugh!  Hate the thought of laying out the money each month although when I signed up last year, I was very diligent about going so I definitely got my money's worth.

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment