Sunday, July 8, 2012

From Injury to Marathon? Yes!

It's been a great couple of weeks training-wise and personal-wise in our household.  Life IS good!

I've been released from the care of the orthopedist.  I'm still working through physical therapy including a run-walk program which has all been going fabulously.  All this positive energy makes me more confident to share my most exciting news.  I am going to train for and run my first marathon!!  I signed up for the marathon prior to this injury but then got nervous that I wouldn't be able to get to race day.  However, now I am on track to get to race day according to a very detailed training schedule that I officially began yesterday.  I'm not quite at the point that I can run all of my training sessions, but I can run/walk them which is terrific.

This October I will celebrate a major milestone:  I will be cancer-free for five years!  I can’t think of a better way to celebrate it than in Washington, D.C. with my friends and family upon completion of my first marathon, the Marine Corp Marathon.  To maximize the experience, I have decided to train for my race with the American Cancer Society DetermiNation team.  I've started an 16 week training program with a great group of folks who will help me get to race day.  For the last four years, I have raised money for the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer branch of the American Cancer Society.  My family will complete the MSABC walk this October as we have done for the past few years; however, our fundraising efforts will be toward the DetermiNation branch of ACS.   I  have had so many generous supporters since I've taken up this cause; I hope some, if not all, will continue to help me in my quest to raise money for the American Cancer Society.  You can support my efforts by visiting my personal page and making a donation of whatever amount you can.  (Please copy and paste the following link into your browser.)


http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/DetermiNation/DNFY12SA?px=7974218&pg=personal&fr_id=47551




My goal is to raise $2,800 for DetermiNation and the American Cancer Society, as well as to finish the race.  Over 75% of every dollar I raise will directly fund the mission of ACS, eliminating cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives, and diminishing suffering from cancer, through research, education, advocacy, and service.  Donations are tax deductible, and if you donate $100 or more I’ll dedicate a mile in Washington D.C. to you!   Please make donations by October 1st, my personal fundraising deadline.  Thank you for your generosity and support!




**You can follow my training here on my blog by becoming a 'follower' of my blog and/or a friend of "Quest 4 Good Health" on Facebook.**

No comments:

Post a Comment