Friday, June 15, 2012

These Shoes Are Made for Running... Without Injury!

My High-Heeled Orthotics
Tuesday I picked up my new orthotics!  I never dreamed I would say those words at 44 and never, ever thought that I would be excited to say them!  But, picking up the orthotics signifies another step that gets me closer to pounding the pavement again.  So it's all good!

I had no idea what to expect regarding the orthotics: what they would look like, what they would feel like, or what they would sound like (yes, there's a definitely squeak when I walk - anyone who has any fixes for this, please share.  It's not often that I need to walk through my house in stealth mode but it does happen. 'Nuf said!).  My orthotics are considered the 'soft' kind although parts of them don't feel so soft.  At least, not during this break-in period.

Immediately after picking up the orthotics from my doc's office, I rushed to my favorite local running store, The Big Peach.  Upon arriving, I sat myself down and eagerly waited for them to open.  Not everyone is on the early bird schedule that us moms are on.  The good folks at The Big Peach found me a new shoe that is similar and as comfortable as my running shoes but in a neutral style.  They even slipped my new orthotics in and checked the shoe for fit.  My orthotics have a 'high heel' and because of that I feel like I'm stepping out of my running shoes.  So, my peachy friend taught me all about the 'runner's lock' style of tying my shoes.  This alternative method allows me to tighten the top of my shoe without tightening the laces all the way down the front of my foot.  Does that make sense?  When the shoes are tied this way, I feel like the running shoes are more secure on my foot.  I'm not sure how it will feel to run with the shoes tied this way; however, my peachy friend said that he prefers this method of tying his shoes because the back of his foot is very thin.  I wore my new kicks with the orthotic inserts home and for 2 hours as the schedule for the first day of break-in recommends.  The inserts felt very hard and odd around the arch area of both feet.

Wednesday was day 2 of breaking in the orthotics.  I wore them for 4 hours.  The inserts felt less weird on my foot than the day before.  What felt strange was wearing my running shoes to run errands and during my other daily activities.  Since taking up running a little over 2 years ago, I have worn my running shoes for just that: running.  Nothing else.  Running shoes that have lots of mileage on them and therefore 'ran out' are what I'd use for errands if I were up for wearing a sneaker-type shoe.  I had to keep reminding myself that these new Brooks will be road-ready when the time comes.  I just have to get to there.

On day 3, I wore the orthotics for 6 hours.  They felt so fine that I forgot about watching the clock to time when to change shoes.  During all of my 'break in' days, I continued to do all of the stretches that my physical therapist laid out for me.  Some of the stretches are definitely more difficult than others:  the achilles/calf stretches are more of a challenge than the toe stretches and exercises.

Today is day 4, the last day of the orthotic break-in period.  Today I am to wear my inserts all day long.  I attended physical therapy this morning to check in and get some new exercises.  Today we talked about strength-building exercises opposed to stretches.  I'll continue to do the stretches but need to add the strength-building exercises to my daily routine.  I did some heel lifts and drops on one of the machines at the office that produced an unbelievable burn in my achilles area.  Lisa said that she wasn't too worried about pain in that area but recommended a different type of heel lift/drop with resistance for me to do at home.  We don't want pain in that area but we do need to isolate it to work on strengthening that area back up.  Lisa did ultrasound and massage again on the plantar fascia area to continue to break up the scar tissue build up.  I even got to ride the stationary bike today.  It was only 10 minutes but I was thrilled.  One of the other patients commented that I needed to take it easy on the bike.  I just smiled and said that I was too excited to take it easy.  It felt great to be back in the saddle.  Even if I did only have a parking lot as my landscape.  Lisa said that I can ride to my heart's desire this week as long as I'm in the trainer and I'm clipped in.  I can hardly wait to start building up my cardio again.  Speaking of building up cardio, I also get to start my walk program this week.  I can walk up to 3 miles at a time at a comfortable pace and I need to avoid inclines and declines which is pretty impossible in Atlanta but I'm willing to give it a try.  I report back to physical therapy next Friday.

This all sounds good and is good.  I know that I'm on the right path to getting back to what I have learned to love to do, but at the same time, I still have my moments of frustration.  At times, I feel like a horse at the starting gate chomping at the bit to race.  I have great run racing plans coming up that are paid for and that I need to train for.  At this point, I'm afraid to even talk about them for fear of jinxing myself.  I think I'll feel better about all of it - about everything - once I can run again.  Then I'll be sure to share my upcoming runcation plans!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment